This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SHELBY COUNTY, Tenn. — A deputy shot a fleeing suspect who then led law enforcement on a 10-mile chase to a hospital, the sheriff’s office said Saturday morning.

Anthony Williams, 24, of Memphis, was released from the hospital a few hours after the shooting and is facing eight charges, including aggravated assault and burglary.

SCSO said the deputy was patrolling the area near the Home Inn and Suites on Lowrance Road, near Hacks Cross Road and 385, when he spotted Williams breaking into a car in the parking lot and tried to arrest him.

Investigators said Williams jumped into another car and tried to hit the deputy.

The deputy fired two shots at Williams, hitting him at least once in the upper body, according to Lt. Anthony Buckner with the sheriff’s office.

Investigators said Williams then lead deputies on a chase to Baptist Memorial Hospital in East Memphis, where he was arrested.

Hotel guests WREG spoke to didn’t see the confrontation or hear the gunfire, but one tells us she saw deputies in the hotel parking lot before the shooting.

“Previous to laying down there were two deputies here in the parking lot obviously patrolling and just trying to make sure everything was safe,” said Juanita Seruntine.

Amid all the chaos and flying bullets, incredibly, no one else was hurt.

“Obviously deputies knew what they were doing,” Seruntine said. “You know, bullets fly, go through walls all the time.”

The deputy’s name isn’t being released yet, but Lt. Buckner said he wasn’t hurt and has been placed on administrative leave while the sheriff’s office investigates.

Lt. Buckner also said the deputy was wearing a body cam, and his patrol car was equipped with a dash cam.

“I commend the officers,” Seruntine said. “They were in the right place at the right time, and must have had considerable knowledge on what they needed to do. And I thank them.”

Williams will make his first court appearance Monday morning.