Risk of Fires Increase When Temperatures Drop

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Memphis) Fire investigators suspect a space heater is to blame for an overnight house fire.


It happened in the 1500 block of David near Barron and Lamar. The Red Cross is now assisting the homeowner, who had just returned from vacation.


This is the second fire this week where investigators have blamed the heating source for a fire.


Earlier this week, fire investigators said a space heater — too close to flammable materials in a bedroom — started a fire on Cavern Drive in Raleigh.


No injuries were reported in either case.

Battalion Chief Keith Staples said one way to protect you and your family is by getting a smoke detector.


“Smoke detectors are absolutely imperative,” said Staples. “They save lives. It allows for early warning, so they can get out before it becomes fatal.”


Anyone in the City of Memphis who needs a smoke detector, contact the Fire Museum of Memphis at (901) 636-5650. They are free.



Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Latest News

More News

Watch Latest Videos

Chaplains arrive to support Collierville community after deadly mass shooting

Search underway for missing 2-year-old

Memphis gun expert stresses the importance of gun safety, training in the wake of deadly mass shooting

Collierville church service honors victims, first responders of Kroger mass shooting

1 charged with tampering with evidence

Mother, Child Die After Fall From Petco Park Third Level

More News