MEMPHIS, Tenn. – The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says a year-long investigation has led to the indictment of a former Shelby County assistant district attorney general, three former Memphis Police Department employees, a Memphis attorney and four other people.
According to the TBI, District Attorney General Amy Weirich asked the TBI to investigate “the improper use of confidential information by someone within her office” in June 2020. The TBI says Weirich then recused herself from the case and it was handled by District Attorney General Bryant Dunaway.
The TBI says an investigation revealed former District Assistant Attorney General Glenda Adams and several others were responsible for an “elaborate scheme to profit from the use of confidential information in Memphis Police reports.”
Adams was fired in October of last year.
The TBI has identified the other suspects as Egypt Berry, Latausha Blair, Renatta Dillard, Roderick Harvey, Marcus Lewis, personal injury attorney Aaron Neglia, Martin Nolan, and Mustafa Sajid.
“When I first learned that one of our prosecutors might be engaged in conduct that was potentially criminal, I asked the TBI to begin an investigation and I recused this office. I terminated Ms. Adams in October,” Weirich said in a statement released Friday. “I am thankful to the TBI and Gen. Dunaway for the work they have done so far on this case. I am also grateful to those who brought this issue to the attention of law enforcement. Representing the citizens of Shelby County is an incredible privilege and honor for all of us here. I will not tolerate the abuse of that privilege and honor.”
The TBI says Berry, Blair, and Nolan were employees of the Memphis Police Department at the time. They have all resigned since then.
Berry and Dillard were reportedly taken into custody Friday, and Harvey remains at large. The TBI says the rest are expected to turn themselves in.
TBI says the Shelby County Grand Jury returned the following indictments:
- Adams (DOB: 12/8/72): Bribery of a Public Servant, Official Misconduct, Violation of a Computer Act over $10,000
- Berry (DOB: 4/21/85): Bribery of a Public Servant (2 counts), Official Misconduct, Violation of Computer Act over $10,000
- Blair (DOB: 5/31/71): Violation of Computer Act over $10,000
- Dillard (DOB: 6/26/67): Violation of Computer Act over $10,000
- Harvey (DOB: 1/28/82): Bribery of a Public Servant, Violation of Computer Act over $10,000
- Lewis (DOB: 5/17/80): Bribery of a Public Servant
- Neglia (DOB: 12/27/82): Bribery of a Public Servant, Violation of Computer Act over $10,000
- Nolan (DOB: 7/28/87): Bribery of a Public Servant, Official Misconduct, Violation of Computer Act over $10,000
- Sajid (DOB: 11/24/79): Bribery of a Public Servant