This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Memphis) An elderly woman is recovering after almost being raped in her own home.

It’s heartbreaking and sounds unreal, but Memphis police have arrested a 23-year-old for the unthinkable.

The grandmother is at home and is expected to be OK.

Leaves line sidewalks and driveways on North Holmes, and police say Elton Nelson counted on leaves to get him inside the 83-year-old woman’s home.

He knocked on the door and asked if he could rake her leaves. She told him no.

The grandmother says about 15 minutes later, he broke into her home through a bathroom window and forced her to the ground.

“She fought him. He kept saying ‘where’s your money?’ She was honest, said it was in her purse,” said the 83-year-old victim’s daughter.

She didn’t want to be identified, but says Memphis police called her right after Tuesday morning’s attack.

She rushed over and discovered it was worse than she thought.

“She took my hand and said, ‘He tried to rape me.’ It’s the worst thing I’ve ever heard in my life,” said the victim’s daughter.

“He wasn’t thinking about his mother. He’s got to have a mother too. How would he feel if that happened to his mother?” said neighbor Leon Bradford.

“She’s just afraid. She told my brother last night was the first night she was able to sleep, but she’s afraid he’s going to get out,” said the victim’s daughter.

Others living in the elderly neighborhood fear that too.

“If he could go there, he could come here,” said Bradford.

Nelson is locked up behind bars.

He faces attempted rape, robbery and aggravated burglary charges. His bond is set at $100,000.

“Tell you the truth, that bond isn’t high enough. He shouldn’t be getting out period,” said Bradford.

The grandmother’s family hopes he doesn’t, saying Nelson terrorized a loving grandmother and retired teacher in her home of more than 50 years.

“It’s almost like I can’t go there. I’m so angry, but my main focus is taking care of her,” said the victim’s daughter.

Thankfully, the grandmother wasn’t seriously hurt. She suffered a few bruises and a cut from being forced to the ground.

Her family says from now on, the independent elderly woman won’t be alone.