3 brothers die after being stuck in a manure pit in Ohio

News

MERCER CO., Ohio (WDTN) – Authorities in Ohio say three brothers have died after they became stuck in a manure pit and were overcome by fumes.

The deceased were identified as brothers Gary, Todd and Brad Wuebker. Rescue crews found them unconscious on their family’s farm.

The village’s fire chief says the brothers were fixing a manure pump before they passed out from the fumes. All three were taken to area hospitals and later pronounced dead.

A preliminary autopsy of two of the brothers showed they died by asphyxiation secondary to a farm accident.

Manure pits are common on large livestock farms, but they can produce dangerous gases including hydrogen sulfide and carbon monoxide.

It’s not clear how the men got stuck in the pit or how long they were in there.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Latest News

More News

Watch Latest Videos

Axe-wielding man threatens deputies in Perry County

Rolling billboard for funeral home turns heads

No more quarantine for kids? School districts try 'test and stay' COVID-19 testing model

Teresa Wilkins

MPD officer dies after COVID battle

Supreme Court to hear Mississippi abortion case December 1

More News