This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A woman has died in a burning house, Memphis Fire said.

Fire crews responded to the house fire in the 1700 block of Hester Road at about 9 a.m. Sunday.

They saw smoke and started rescue and firefighting operations. During a search of the house, they found the body of a woman in the bedroom.

Candles in the bedroom caused the deadly blaze, Memphis Fire said. The building also did not have a working smoke alarm.

Firefighters brought the fire under control quickly. The house suffered about $22,250 in damage to its structure and $10,000 in damage to the contents.

The woman’s exact cause of death is still being determined, and her name will not be released until next of kin are notified. Memphis Fire did not release her age but said she was “elderly.”

Memphis Fire is reminding the public that candles can be dangerous, and one should use proper precautions when using them:

  • Avoid using candles in sleeping areas.
  • Never leave a lit candle unattended.
  • Keep candles at least a foot away from anything combustible, such as furniture, curtains, clothes, paper, walls and counter tops.
  • Use large, sturdy candle holders.
  • Consider flameless candles.
  • In case of a power outage, have alternative lighting available, such as flashlights and battery-powered lights.